André the Giant

Role models come in all shapes and sizes.  They can be found among friends or family, but are often historical figures, athletes, or celebrities.  Some aren't even real, and that's okay too.  There's no prerequisite.  In fact, we may never actually meet many of our role models face to face, which raises an interesting question.  Why is it that when referring to such people, we tend to phrase it as "Looking up" to them?    

Fifty years ago, I was sitting in Mrs. Barbanti's French class with much on my mind.  Why did my grandma have to die?  why was our family moving?  Why did we need to learn French, and how was it that our French teacher was Italian?  Why was my French name Jaqueline?  My given name, Michele was already French, wasn't it?  Too many questions with no real answers.  Sitting behind me was a classmate whose French name was André.  I've never forgotten him.  And while there was nothing particularly memorable about him, he was nice to me.  And sometimes that's enough.  

My seventh-grade year ended with our family making the move to a brand-new life.  Things changed, as they are destined to do, But I never forgot Sacajawea junior high, or my classmate André.

Fast forward fifty years and here we are.  We've entered into a new millennium, bringing with it technology capable of connecting us in ways we never imagined.  Amazingly, I was able to re-connect with my long-lost classmate.  Half a century has passed, and much has changed.  But one can find comfort in knowing that there are things that stay constant.  André remains nice, and over time, that simple quality has broadened into something deeper.  He is kind.

In a world where we've become so very divided, many are lacking in patience, and are quick to spout an opinion, criticize others, or to call people out.  Few have the wherewithal to remain calm and measured.  André is the epitome of the latter, which is a rare quality these days.  He has a way of balancing his beliefs with the wisdom to understand that the beliefs of others can be just as precious, and deserve contemplation rather than quick or rash judgment.

I recall mentioning to him something regarding my being short, and that he might not understand, with his being tall.  After letting me know that he wasn't tall at all, it left me a bit dumfounded.  Why did I imagine him as tall?  After pondering yet another question in my mind, I concluded that it must have something to do with the fact that I "Look up" to him".  Finally, a question with a real answer!

There will never come a time in life that we'll be too old, too smart, or too important to appreciate having someone to look up to.  Someone to whom we can relate and to admire.  someone we respect due to their ability in motivating us to better things.  We should all be so lucky.

Comments