One of the Good Ones

I've heard it said that more often than not, girls seem to go for the "Bad Boy" type.  I've never really understood that notion.  As far as I can remember, I’ve been completely captivated with the “Good Guy”, whether in a book, movie, or in real life.

 

There’s always that one character in any story that's just so good.  Too good to be true.  That’s the one that I gravitate toward.  My family, especially my daughters, tease me on a regular basis.  While it’s true that I am a sucker for the good guy, I've yet to see it as a negative thing.

 

Good guys bring with them feelings of happiness, optimism, and a readiness to take on the world.  Of course, real life is not a story book, and one must be grounded in reality at some point.  If not, we could find ourselves living in la-la land.  So, while Virginia may have asked if there is really a Santa Claus, one might ask if there truly are real-life Good Guys?  Or are they only a perception, something that if believed in could lead to disappointment, along with a feeling that life just isn’t all that it should be.

 

Good guys are a real thing.  They may be few and far between, but are easily singled out if one but opens their eyes to the world around them. They're the ones who leave a glimmer of kindliness wherever they are.  A feeling that all is well with the world.  And most importantly, the feeling isn’t fleeting, but lingers.  You are a better person for having interacted with that person. 

 

I was lucky enough to work during the summers with such a person back when I was in high school.  I used to think that I saw him in that light simply because he was older and wiser, after all he was a college man.  Looking back with the ability to see a broader perspective, I can see that he truly was one of the aforementioned, true good guys.  His influence has woven in and out of my life over the years, like a steady thread in a tapestry, always there, but behind the scenes so to speak.  Like the hero in a good story, it's his influence that holds everyone together, seeing everything in life as part of a happy journey. 

 

Being a college sports nut, when my team loses a big game, it would be well advised to keep your distance, as I tend to wear my sports-loving emotions on my sleeve.  And for those who know me, that might be an understatement.  My good-guy friend, who's even a bigger college sports fan than I am, is never unapproachable.  He has such optimism, even after a devastating loss.  How is this accomplished? I've thought on this long and hard.  It’s who he is, it’s as simple as that. 

 

It is not in my nature to let go of emotions, or to harness them very well.  Knowing him, and trying to emulate his manner of seeing the world has been a true blessing.  While still having to make a conscious effort,  the sharpness of the wearing of my emotions has been softened.  At first it was difficult, more like pretending or putting on an act,  trying to be someone else.  But over time it's become more than pretending.  I am happier.  His influence actually changed the way that I see things in the world, and that influence goes further than sports.   Seeing the world through rose colored glasses my seem silly to some.  After all, what about reality?  However, if reality is nothing more than how the world is seen through each one of us, why not choose to see life on a positive note? 

 

Over a lifetime, we interact with countless people, each leaving little impressions on us.  If we take a purposeful look at those impressions, we can decide which of those attributes will make us better people, and which to simply weed out.  I am lucky indeed to have such a friend.  I am a better person for having his influence in my life.  We should all be so lucky, cherishing the threads of positive influences in our lives.  Yes, my friend Dale Goodwin is true to his name, one of the “Good-ones” in every sense of the word.

 

Comments